Back to home October 2013
Health & Wellness
Vanilla Bean Fruit Smoothie
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 0% fat
- 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries*
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, canned or fresh
- ½ cup white beans—great northern beans or cannellini
- drain and rinse canned beans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cubes, optional
- Drizzle of honey or agave, optional**
Blend all of the ingredients together. If consistency is too thick, blend in cubes or crushed ice until desired consistency is achieved.
For an added nutritional bonus, toss in 1-2 handfuls of spinach. This will provide a source of vitamins A, C and K.
The beans are mild in flavor, and provide fiber and protein. The fiber in the beans helps regulate blood sugars and can help lower cholesterol. Give beans a chance!
*If you are using fresh fruit, you may need to add ice cubes. If fruit is frozen, try it without the ice.
**Try the smoothie first before adding the honey or agave, it may be sweet enough naturally.
Yield: 2 servings
Also a good source of: Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Manganese and Phosphorus