Health and Wellness
Healthy Recipe: Summer Squash and White Bean Saut
Bountiful summer vegetables and protein-rich white beans are the staple of this healthy recipe recommended by the America Heart Association.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 15- or 19-ounce can cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed (see Cooking Tips)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add zucchini, summer squash, oregano, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and vinegar; increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
What s Eating You? Keeping a Food Journal