Back to home Mar. 2013
Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida
Preparing for Baby with Childbirth and Family Education Classes
There are plenty of books on the subjects of pregnancy, babies and delivery, but prenatal classes often help answer questions and reduce anxieties of expectant parents. Lee Memorial Health System offers a variety of childbirth and family education classes and services to help new parents feel prepared and confident for their baby’s arrival.
Some examples of classes include:
- Childbirth Preparation is taught by nurses who are nationally certified by the International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA), and covers the birthing process, choices in obstetrics, breathing, relaxation, cesarean preparation and mother/baby care. A tour of the birthing facilities also helps allay expectant parents’ questions and concerns.
- Baby Care helps parents feel comfortable and confident in their parenting role. Topics include bathing, cord care, circumcision care, soothing the baby, holding and burping, swaddling, diapering, dressing, taking the baby’s temperature and car seat safety. This class involves hands-on participation.
- Breastfeeding classes and lactation services help new mothers feel comfortable breastfeeding their baby. Certified lactation consultants visit new moms in the hospital, and also are available for appointments at HealthPark Medical Center—call 239-343- 5186—and Cape Coral Hospital—call 239-424-2246.
- Infant Resuscitation and Car Seat Safety covers common hazards that children may be exposed to, and teaches parents how to make the environment safer, child restraint systems and basic rescue techniques, like infant CPR and obstructed airway.
“I meet a lot of the parents who have taken our classes,” says Elisa Nigro, department secretary, family education/support. “I hear a lot of extremely positive feedback. Our instructors are highly experienced childbirth educators. They are also lactation consultants who visit new moms after delivery, so there is a nice continuity—parents take the classes with the instructors and then see them again after the baby is born.”
Additionally, a Mom and Baby Boutique set up at HealthPark Medical Center carries breast pumps for sale or rent, as well as a variety of other items. The boutique is open 8 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday and is located on the 4th floor, Suite 450.
Classes are offered at Gulf Coast Medical Center and HealthPark Medical Center. For more information, call 239-343-5271, email PrenatalClass@LeeMemorial.org or visit www.LeeMemorial.org/BirthEd.
Babies are delivered at three Lee Memorial Health System hospitals, including:
- Cape Coral Hospital
- Gulf Coast Medical Center
- HealthPark Medical Center