Pediatric Specialty Clinic Now Open in Charlotte County
As the only accredited Children's hospital between Tampa and Miami, Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida always has been committed to ensuring specialized and routine medical care for the children of Southwest Florida.
In March 2011, Golisano Children's Hospital expanded to include the Pediatric Specialty Clinic in north Collier County. Now, another Pediatric Specialty Clinic in Port Charlotte enables more children to get the specialized medical care they need close to home.
Emad Salman, M.D., pediatric hematologist/oncologist and medical director of Golisano Children's Hospital, says there will be a number of specialists rotating through the clinic, depending on the need.
All of the specialists at the clinic are physicians who have completed extensive training in a specific area of Children's medical care, such as:
- Endocrinology medical subspecialty dealing with variations of physical growth and sexual development in childhood, as well as diabetes and other disorders of the endocrine glands. It also relates to the diagnosis and treatment of childhood obesity.
- General surgery includes consultations, preoperative and postoperative exams for laparoscopic surgery, neonatal surgery and pediatric surgical oncology.
- Hematology refers to the study of blood and bone marrow disorders, such as anemia, hemophilia or leukemia.
- Infectious disease includes understanding unique signs and symptoms to diagnose and treat a variety of recurrent and resistant infections and immune deficiencies, including diseases caused by bacteria, fungi, parasites or a virus.
- Oncology relates to the causes, development, characteristics and treatment of tumors, particularly cancerous tumors.
- Nephrology provides evaluation and treatment of kidney failure and kidney disease, which can cause symptoms such as blood or protein in the urine, kidney stones and bedwetting.
- Neurology relates to the study of the central nervous system, including the brain and spinal cord, and the diagnosis and treatment of its disorders. Examples include headache, stroke, tics, movement disorders, epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.
Our goal is to serve children as close to home as possible, says Kathy Bridge-Liles, chief administrative officer, Golisano Children's Hospital. Having pediatric services at our new office in Charlotte County helps us meet this goal by providing for the health care needs of the children and families we serve.