About This Specialty
General Surgery involves a comprehensive range of surgical services. General surgeons operate on the stomach, liver, intestines, appendix, breasts, thyroid gland, salivary glands, some arteries and veins, and the skin.
General surgery is frequently performed to alleviate suffering when a cure is unlikely through medication alone. It can be used for such routine procedures performed in a physician's office, as vasectomy , or for more complicated operations requiring a medical team in a hospital setting, such as laparoscopic cholecystectomy (removal of the gallbladder).
Our specialist performs a variety of general, minimally invasive, oncologic and vascular surgeries.
Some of the most common general surgical procedures include:
- Appendectomy (Appendix Removal)
- Breast Biopsy
- Breast cancer surgery/Lumpectomy
- Cholecystectomy (Gallbladder Removal)
- Colon cancer surgery
- Colon resection
- Hernia surgery
- Kidney transplant surgery
- Melanoma (Skin cancer surgery)
- Thyroid surgery
- Trauma surgery
Our Care Team
- General Surgery
- Eric A. Goldsmith, D.O.
- William Kokal, M.D.
- Darren Miter, D.O.
- Steven Moenning, M.D., FACS, FACRS
- General Surgery & Vascular Surgery
- Moutaa BenMaamer, M.D.
- John A. Moss, D.O., FACOS
Before Your Appointment Use This Checklist
- Write down any questions that you may have.
- Put your questions in order of importance so that you are sure to cover the most important question first.
- Bring a list of other health care professionals that have taken care of you since your last visit—include any specialists, hospitalizations or ER visits.
- Write down the medications that you are taking, or bring all the bottles with you to the appointment, including over-the-counter and herbal remedies.