Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry)
About This Specialty
Physiatrists are medical specialists who diagnose and treat disorders, disease or injuries of the nerves, muscles or bones that cause temporary or permanent impairment. Specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry), physiatrists employ nonsurgical treatments.
Our specialist develops a comprehensive program to help restore the body’s function.
Common treatment and therapies include:
- Acute and/or chronic pain
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Musculoskeletal problems (back and neck pain)
- Orthopedic injuries
- Pinched nerves
Our Care Team
Before Your Appointment Use This Checklist
- Write down any questions that you may have.
- Put your questions in order of importance so that you are sure to cover the most important question first.
- Bring a list of other health care professionals that have taken care of you since your last visit—include any specialists, hospitalizations or ER visits.
- Write down the medications that you are taking, or bring all the bottles with you to the appointment, including over-the-counter and herbal remedies.