About This Specialty
Pediatric Psychology at Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida is dedicated to providing emotional support and mental health services for children diagnosed with cancer. And, because the entire family is affected by a cancer diagnosis, our specialist also works with parents, siblings and grandparents to suggest strategies for coping with childhood cancer.
Our specialist helps children and his or her family adjust to the impact of diagnosis and treatment, and continues to provide supportive services even after treatment.
Most common treatments and therapies:
- Behavioral techniques to manage anxiety
- Consultation with teachers, students and school administrators
- Individual and family therapy
- Play therapy
- Support groups and workshops for patients and parents
- Survivorship counseling and education
Our Care Team
Before Your Appointment Use This Checklist
- Write down any questions that you may have.
- Put your questions in order of importance so that you are sure to cover the most important question first.
- Bring a list of other health care professionals that have taken care of you since your last visit—include any specialists, hospitalizations or ER visits.
- Write down the medications that you are taking, or bring all the bottles with you to the appointment, including over-the-counter and herbal remedies.