Gulf Coast Medical Center
- 13681 Doctors Way
- Fort Myers, FL 33912
- Phone: 239-343-5000
Gulf Coast Medical Center opened in March 2009 when Southwest Regional Hospital and Gulf Coast Hospital merged into a new state-of-the-art hospital. Gulf Coast Medical Center wraps around the former Gulf Coast Hospital and consists of 436,000 square feet of new construction and 20,000 square feet of renovation to the former facility.
The hospital has an open-heart surgery program, an orthopedic surgery program, and the region's only Kidney Transplant Center, which has one of the shortest wait times in the nation for kidney transplants.
- Established: 2009
- Southwest Regional Hospital Opened: 1974 *
- Gulf Coast Hospital Opened: 1990 *
- Type of Facility: Acute Care
- Number of Private Rooms: 233 (New construction)
- Number of Licensed Beds: 349
- Number of Stroke Beds: 12
- Number of Emergency Department Beds: 43
- Number of Emergency Department Exam Rooms: 28
- Number of Emergency Department Treatment Rooms: 33
- Number of Emergency Department Observation Units: 10
- Number of Operating Rooms: 22
- Number of Patients Seen Annually: 47,000+
* Joined our System in 2006 - both hospitals merged to form Gulf Coast Medical Center.
- Gulf Coast Medical Center is a 349-bed acute care facility that opened in March 2009 when Southwest Florida Regional Medical Center and Gulf Coast Hospital merged into a new, state-of-the-art hospital.
- Southwest Florida Regional Medical Center was a 400-bed acute care facility, which opened in April of 1974. Gulf Coast Hospital was a 120-bed facility, which opened in 1990. Both hospitals joined our health care system in 2006.
- Gulf Coast Medical Center wraps around the former Gulf Coast Hospital and consists of 436,000 square feet of new construction and 20,000 square feet of renovation to the former facility.
- All of the 233 new rooms are private.
- The spacious 43-bed emergency department consists of 28 exam rooms, 10 observation units and 33 treatment rooms. 10 beds are designated as a Cardiac Decision Unit (CDU) to quickly assess patients with chest pain, as well as fast track testing and treatment.
- The surgery department houses 22 operating rooms.
- Major service lines are neuroscience and the Neuroscience Institute, orthopedics and general surgery.
- The radiology department features digital technology, such as the Picture Archive Computer System, or PACS, that enables physicians to view X-rays on a computer monitor and adjust the image for a better view. The department also has a state-of-the-art GE 128-slice HD Volume CT scanner, which is very beneficial to our stroke program.
- The hospital’s outpatient rehabilitation clinic utilizes a speech pathology procedure in which a fiber-optic endoscopic evaluation allows speech pathologists to see how patients swallow in real time without an X-ray.
- Gulf Coast Medical Center is one of three facilities in Lee County designated by the Agency for Health Care Administration as a Certified Primary Stroke Center. The others are Cape Coral Hospital and Lee Memorial Hospital.
- The hospital features a dedicated 36-bed neuroscience/stroke unit.
- Gulf Coast Medical Center has earned the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association “Get With The Guidelines” Gold Plus Stroke Center designation.
- The hospital houses the region’s only Kidney Transplant Center, which has one of the shortest wait times in the nation for kidney transplants. On average, recipients wait less than two years for a transplant. With a live donor, recipients do not have to wait and can even schedule the transplant, which is performed laparoscopically.
- Gulf Coast Medical Center was ranked as one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for pulmonary care for two years in a row, 2012-2013
- In 2013, the hospital is ranked No. 1 in Florida for overall pulmonary services by Healthgrades.
Treatment & Services Provided
Treatment & Services available within hospital:
- Emergency Department
- Cardiovascular Care
- Kidney Transplant Center
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Neurosurgery/Spine Surgery
- Neurosciences and Stroke Care
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- General and Vascular Surgery
- General Medicine
- Intensive Care Unit
- Diagnostic Imaging
- AHCA Certified Primary Stroke Center*
- DNV Certified Primary Stroke Center
- Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Phone Number: 239-343-1000